The first Elephants arrive in Elberfeld (1927)
In Mai 1927 the elephant house in the Zoological Gardens in Elberfeld was completed. On 27 May a pair of Asian Elephants "Krishna" and "Lakshmi" arrived at the Zoo. Visitors crowded around the elephant house to admire the pachyderms. Until the 1960s, it wasn't unusual to present the zoo animals as if they were in a circus and have them perform tricks. Zoos today, including Wuppertal, keep their animals according to their natural needs and also treat them respectfully.
The aquarium-terrarium building was completed in September 1927. The facility closely modelled the Berliner zoo aquarium. A special new feature over the crocodile pit was the sliding roof. The building was torn down in 1975 to make room for the construction of a new house for Great Apes.